Type: Contract (Full-Time)
Location: Wilmington, MA (Onsite)
Start Date: ASAP
Duration: 3 Months (possibility of extension up to 1 year)
Pay Rate: $40 to $50 per hour
POSITION OVERVIEW: Our client is seeking a highly talented, highly experienced Sr. Mechanical Design Engineer to join their Hardware Product Engineering team to lead New Product Development of their automated systems. In this role, you will lead the conceptualization, prototyping, detailed design and commercial release of complex electromechanical systems. You will have exceptional mechanical design intuition and creativity demonstrated by previous accomplishments. You have the self-management skills and independent judgement to most efficiently arrive at an optimized design. You pride yourself on your communication skills across the organization. You can organize yourself and others, and overcome obstacles in your path to success while always being a consummate team player.
- Invent novel, elegant, reliable solutions to highly integrated hardware systems.
- Lead the conception, analysis, prototyping, detailed design, and validation of complex electromechanical systems using SolidWorks.
- Be an active, leading contributor in team brainstorming sessions in an Agile environment.
- Assist in building program plans and schedules to achieve milestones.
- Provide design guidance and feedback on colleagues’ work.
- Perform feasibility analyses and make recommendations on viability of concepts.
- Perform tolerance analysis on complex mechanical assemblies and create mechanical drawings.
- Create quantitative trade studies to evaluate designs and identify optimum solutions>
- Contribute innovations that satisfy customer needs and enable new market opportunities.
- Research outside sources, evaluate and validate mechanical components such as motors, sensors, bearings, etc. from outside suppliers.
- Define protocols, write test plans and conduct the necessary testing required to validate the safety and effectiveness of the design(s) [PA1] [TK2] [TK3]
- Work seamlessly with cross-functional colleagues, from EE/Controls/MFG/Marketing
- Communicate project status, chair design reviews, present to colleagues and product owners.
- Create and manage Bill of Materials (BOMs) and Engineering Change Orders (ECOs) in Arena PLM [PA4] [TK5] [TK6]
- Perform and document mechanical analysis of your designs.
- Assist in assembling prototypes, testing, troubleshooting, and implementing design changes.[PA7] [TK8] [TK9]
- Mentor junior engineering staff on team
- BS minimum in Mechanical Engineering, with 5+ years of work experience with hands-on Mechanism Design
- Specifically, mechanism design of automated equipment involving Motors, Belts, Pulleys, Linear Bearings etc.
- Industrial robotics, automation, and material handling experience is strongly preferred.
- Depth of experience to select and integrate motors, sensors, actuators, materials, power transmission components, etc.
- Expertise in designing parts for of a variety of manufacturing processes: machining, casting, sheet metal, plastics, fabricated assemblies, etc.
- Strong mechanical intuition and hands on approach to conceptualizing and prototyping
- Ability to devise optimized, cost effective and reliable mechanisms.
- Expert experience and full proficiency with CAD software. SolidWorks is preferred.
- A high level of demonstrated experience using FEA (SolidWorks Simulation and/or Ansys) is desired.
- Proficiency in creating dimensional drawings per ANSI Y14.5 standards.
- Adept at project organization, planning, and prioritization
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Desire to take initiative and thrive in a fast paced environment is essential